As I have grown more familiar with the Rosary and developed a stronger attachment to our Blessed Mother, I have begun to notice certain patterns and themes. Some are clearly intentional, and some I’m not so sure. For example, I noticed a pattern when praying the Glorious Mysteries: Up, Up, Down, Up, Down/Up. It’s all very vertical in its orientation. Let me explain.
- Up. Resurrection. Jesus rises from the dead. Clearly a very vertical event.
- Up. Ascension. Jesus ascends to His throne in heaven. Also very vertical.
- Down. Descent of the Holy Spirit on the disciples.
- Up. Mary is assumed into Heaven, body and soul.
- Down/Up. Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth. This takes a little more imagination. For down, I imagine the crown being lowered on her brow. for up, I imagine her elevation to the lofty role of queen.